Tools you may want to use

Equipment, Software and Services

First off, for photography you can very easily hire a real estate photographer. They won't break the bank and if you choose one with experience they will give you some very good results. You could have them process a unique package for you where all of the drop shadows are applied to the photos (we'll give you a spec and process) you'll use on your page, a slide show, and your listing photos. When they find out you are doing something special with their work they may get very interested in what you are doing and will be more willing to do unique stuff.

But if you like doing stuff yourself...

The camera you'll need is not one with a billion pixel sensor. We use a Canon camera and 10-22 Wide Angle lens that is now about 15 years old. And it has more capability than is needed. Photos for Internet display do not need bucketloads of pixels to shine. Less is what's needed on the internet - small files so that your page will load quickly. Prints need all of those pixels, but this is not print advertising. Which, by the way, does not market or sell houses. Print marketing may sell a RealtorĀ® to someone who does not know this, but seldom sells a house. There just isn't the coverage in print as only a few buyers will be there to pick up the print and hold it. RealtorĀ® collected data for years shows this.

Lighting. We use it. There's so much available and it all works. We use it for fill only to bring the image up to editing quality. You'll want lighting your camera can trigger and your photography supply store will be able to help you choose. You will want a light for the room you are shooting and perhaps another to help fill down a hall beyond. A pro should have even more in their kit so this is another reason to consider hiring it out.

Tripods For cameras and lighting. We use HDR imaging with a light touch and need a strong tripod to hold the camera still. Lighting tripods don't need to be camera-strong, but they do need to be sturdy.

HDR imaging software. We use Photomatix for High Dynamic Range photography - all interiors - and have since 2005. The difficult thing to learn with this is how to apply only the lightest of touch to the process. This is by no means necessary and many photographers don't use it.

Photoshop for image sizing and drop shadow. Hire a pro and you won't need this.

Photography For Real Estate is a site where you can learn all about what is behind the lens and in the mind of the real estate photographer.

Your Phone?? For years, photos taken by agents using their phones were laughably awful. But phone cameras and apps are different now. As is the knowledge to use them properly. You know, they're shooting motion pictures on phones now. So it stands to reason you could use one for real estate photos. There's a course for that... On Udemy, find iPhone Photography for Real Estate. For the purposes of listing photos, this could work for you. You'll need the phone with Pro camera capabilities for this. Apple has no lock on best cameras, either. Samsung, Pixel, and others can be even better. Look for one with ultrawide capability. It'll cost you a little extra. Don't forget the strong tripod with leveling capabilities. And a remote camera shutter too.

But for a WordsEyeTour? Yes, you can get by with a phone with a really good camera, on a tripod and with an external shutter relief (both not that expensive) but you will have to take the time to shoot photos when the ambient lighting is best or even better, just hire a real estate photographer who will save you the work of working the photography bit. And provide you with very high resolution photos that you can work with.

Adobe Dreamweaver for web page creation and uploading. You can get really fancy making a website with this thing, but you don't want to because it will not serve this purpose well to do so. Tricky websites will interfere with immagination because distraction is the enemy of daydreams. Keep it simple with a page...which, by the way requires far less coding education.

Domain Name Services Where you will buy your domain name and manage it's functions. We use Moniker and have for years because they are very secure and operate very professionally. They have hosting available too.

A Hosting Service We use GreenGeeks. Very easy to use with step-by-step documentation for the few things you'll need. We dumped GoDaddy early on as they are just too gimmicky. Learn the topic of hosting ahead of time before you dive in.

CPanel, which will be what a hosting service will provide you to manage your site's files. It's a file folder serving the Internet. Fairly easy to learn.

HTTPS is something you will definitely want to employ on your site even though it won't be needed for exchanging any information or money with your buyer. You will want modern buyers who understand the Internet to feel comfortable with the security of the site as evidenced by the little lock image you may never have noticed next to the URL. It will tell them that camping is allowed here...

HTML and CSS is what makes all these characters display on the page as they do. It is arcane looking coding...Oh, the horror!! Until you look at it awhile and realize there are only a few coding things repeated again and again. Children learn how to do this stuff... What you need to learn is covered in the first few pages of "HTML and CSS for Dummies" available at a bookstore near you.

We're Shelly&David, Contact Us...